Refrigerators have become an essential appliance found in almost every household. From storing prepped meals to raw vegetables, and condiments they are an appliance that helps in making every kitchen functional. These days there are different varieties of refrigerators available in the market.
From top-freezer refrigerators, bottom freezer refrigerators, to side-by-side refrigerators, and French door refrigerators have unlimited choices available in them. Before we proceed any further, let us understand what a French door refrigerator and side by side refrigerator are before establishing the difference between the two styles.
French door Refrigerator: Known for their famous ‘French Door’ architecture, the French door refrigerators are a double door refrigerator with the freezer placed at the bottom. The top fresh produce section divides into two sections that open in the middle with a stackable freezer section located below. The double-doored system is more energy-efficient, as only half of the stored items expose to outer temperatures on opening the refrigerator.
Side by side Refrigerator: On the other hand, a side-by-side refrigerator is also a double-door refrigerator with one side being the refrigerator or fresh produce section and the other being the freezer. Both the freezer and refrigerator sections are at the same eye level giving you a clear view of all the items stored inside. The side-by-side refrigerator costs less than French door refrigerators of the same capacity.
Want to buy best brand refrigerator: Top Refrigerator brands 2021
Difference between a French door Refrigerator and Side by Side Refrigerator:
Now that we understand a French door refrigerator and side by side refrigerators, let us differentiate the two, based on five important factors. These points of difference will help you in deciding on buying the best refrigerator to buy for yourself.
- Space: Based on space, the French door refrigerator is more spacious but also more space-consuming in your kitchen. In this refrigerator, you will be easily able to store larger pots and pans without any difficulty. A side-by-side refrigerator has drawers and shelves that are less wide but will easily fit into a smaller area. One major drawback of this style is the inability to store large containers or items.
- Budget: Your budget is the next crucial factor that needs consideration when selecting the best refrigerator to buy for your home. A French door refrigerator is a larger and higher capacity refrigerator and is, therefore, more expensive among the two refrigerator options. Whereas a side-by-side refrigerator is a more budget-friendly and affordable option than the latter. This is more suitable for people looking for good refrigerators under 1500.
- Lifestyle: The lifestyle and the food habits of your family will also play an important role in deciding which style of refrigerator to buy. The French door refrigerator is more suited if you need more space for your fresh produce where you can store cooked meals and condiments. On the other hand, the side by side is more suited for families that need more storage space for frozen foods.
- Placement of the freezer: The placement of the freezer can also be a crucial factor that will decide which is the best refrigerator to buy for your family. If your family consumes more home-cooked meals, then the refrigerator part will see more use than the freezer section. In such cases, we recommend a French door refrigerator for your family. But if that is not the case you are better off with a side-by-side refrigerator.
- Accessibility: As we explained above, the freezer of a French door refrigerator is on the bottom whereas, in the side-by-side refrigerator, it dedicates to one side of your refrigerator, top to bottom. So, if your family has younger kids or older members then the constant bending over to reach the freezer in a French door refrigerator can be an issue. A side-by-side refrigerator will be more helpful in teaching your kids to be self-sufficient.
We hope that after going through this article you will be able to understand what French door refrigerators are and side by side refrigerators. We also tried to make a clear distinction between the French door Refrigerator and Side by side Refrigerator based on various criteria. We are sure that you found this information useful in making a better decision on which one to choose for your family.